Introducing the Elephant

Whether you noticed or not, the address for this page is introducingtheelephant.blogspot.com.  Now that I've brought that to your attention I'll tell you where I got it.

Last night, I was using stumbleupon.com and "stumbling" around on the internet.  I came across a list from Psychology Today entitled "10 Life-Enhancing Things You Can Do in Ten Minutes or Less".  The first thing on the list is "Watch 'The Last Lecture' by Randy Pausch".  I was bored and it was late so I watched it (you should too).  The whole point is Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University and he found out he had 3-6 months of good health left so he wrote and gave his "Last Lecture".  Right off the bat he jumps in saying, "So, you know, in case there is anyone who wandered in and doesn't know the back story, my dad always taught me that when there's an elephant in the room, introduce them.", Prof. Pausch is referring to the fact that he has been diagnosed with liver cancer and has been given 3-6 months of good health left.  That line, along with many other from the lecture, really stuck with me.  I think thats a profound way to look at awkward situations.  If there is something floating in the air, clear it.  This idea really resonates with me, because I've come to realize that  its better to deal with problems, and those "elephants", head on.

I would highly recommend that you watch "The Last Lecture", if you don't it's your loss.  This first post was really just to kind of introduce my blog and just a tiny part of what makes me, me.  So you can expect that I'll always be pretty upfront about what I'm getting at in my posts.  I'll really try to avoid beating around the bush too much.

-Adam Dent

Comments

Popular Posts